Do You Know What to do BEFORE the Storm?
Preparing for a storm can be intmidating, let us give you some tips to make the process a lot easier for you.
Before The Storm:
- Build an emergency supply kit and make a family communication plan.
- Remove dead or rotting trees and branches that could fall and cause injury or damage during a severe thunderstorm.
- Postpone outdoor activities.
- Remember the 30/30 Lighting Safety Rule: Go indoors if, after seeing lighting, you cannot count to 30 before hearing thunder. Stay indoors for 30 minutes after hearing the last clap of thunder.
- Secure outdoor objects that could blow away or cause damage.
- Get inside a home, building, or hard top automobile (not a convertible). Although you may be injured if lighting strikes your car, you are much safer inside a vehicle than outside.
- Remember, rubbed-soled shoes and rubber tires provide NO protection from lighting. However, the steel frame of a hard-topped vehicle provides increased protection if you are not touching metal.
- Shutter windows and secure outside doors. If shutters are not available, close window blinds, shades or curtains.
- Unplug any electronic equipment well before the storm arrives.
Check out our next blog..."What to do During a Storm?"